Many towns and villages celebrate this traditional festival when flocks of sheep are herded to their summer pastures.
It takes place on Pentecostal Monday (50 days after Easter). Historically, this journey could take up to 10 days by foot; these days the transhumance is mainly ceremonial. Hundreds of sheep, lambs and cows line the streets, looked after by shepherds in traditional costume.
More Avoriaz Insights...
- Latest gear - Mountain running equipment 2019
- Watch Perseids Meteors 2019 in Avoriaz
- Best 6 places to cool down in Avoriaz in 2019
- Discounts on Portes du Soleil 2019/20 season ski passes
- Avoriaz 2019/20 ski pass prices are out
- Latest gear - Camping equipment summer 2019